Confirmation Preparation - Levels 6, 7 & 8
Our parish preparatory program for the Sacrament of Confirmation is based upon the teaching of the U.S. National Directory for Catechesis, which reads that parishes should present catechesis for Confirmation that:
- Teaches that Confirmation increases and deepens the grace of Baptism, imprinting an indelible character on the soul.
- Teaches that Confirmation strengthens the baptismal conferral of the Holy Spirit on those confirmed in order to incorporate them more firmly in Christ, to strengthen their bond with the Church, associate them more closely with the Church’s mission, increase in them the gifts of the Holy Spirit, and to help them bear witness to the Christian faith in words and deeds.
- Teaches about the role of the Holy Spirit, his gifts, and his fruits.
- Is developmentally appropriate and includes retreat experiences.
- Includes instruction on the Rite of Confirmation and its basic symbols: the imposition of hands, the anointing with Sacred Chrism, and the words of the sacramental formula.
- Ensures that parents and sponsors are involved in the catechetical preparation of the children for Confirmation. (Article 36)
Level 6 (Usually Grade 6)
The theme of “Called to be Catholic” published by Loyola Press is centered on deepening faith in Christ while developing a clear understanding of what it means to be a member of the Catholic Church. Young people become prepared and ready to respond as Christ’s disciples to the world.
Children in Level 6 will receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation during PREP class during Lent. Please check the calendar for date.
Level 7 (Usually Grade 7)
The theme of “Confirmed in the Spirit” published by Loyola Press is renewal in the Spirit. The goal is a deepening of the faith life within the young people through an awareness of the special strength they receive in Confirmation to live the Christian life and to witness to Christ. Our call is to bring people to the person of Jesus Christ, who lives and who is with us and loves us. Confirmation preparation is an experience of journeying together, sharing faith in Jesus Christ, and growing in faith.
Children in Level 7 will receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation during PREP class during Lent. Please check the calendar for date.
ACRE TESTING is administered to Level 7 students at the end of the PREP year. This assessment is used to evaluate the faith knowledge and attitudes of our PREP students.
Level 8 (Usually Grade 8)
PRAYERS: Review of all prayers
The students do not attend weekly PREP classes. The preparation for Confirmation includes: Community Service, regular Mass attendance, saint report, mandatory twice a month Confirmation sessions, a fall retreat and Confirmation rehearsal.
The Sacrament of Confirmation is conferred on those students upon the completion of this course. Confirmation preparation is not just a matter of information but of formation—changing lives to be more Catholic.