As is the tradition here at St. Thomas the Apostle, the Sacrament of Confirmation is celebrated in the spring of 8th Grade.
The next year will be an important time of preparation for your 7th grade child as they transition to Confirmation candidates. As the parent, and primary teacher in the domestic church, you have nurtured the love of God in your child and now it is the time to take the next step in your child's faith journey.
In order for this to be a successful journey, please have a conversation with your child to be sure that your child wishes to receive this Sacrament. If your child is not willing to do the work and accept responsibility for their actions, they will not be open to the Spirit. I need your help as the parent to be sure your child is ready for this Sacrament.
As a Confirmation Candidate, your son or daughter will have responsibilities as they prepare for the Sacrament of Confirmation:
- Community Service is an important aspect of the Confirmation process that needs to be completed under your supervision during the summer months. There are specific guidelines that will need to be followed. Community Service information will be mailed out in June to those candidates that are registered.
- Confirmation Interview: each candidate will be asked to schedule an interview with a priest or a deacon over the summer to see their readiness to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation.
- Mass Attendance: Weekly Mass attendance will be omnitored beginning September 2017. Candidates will be asked to sign the Weekly Mass Attendance Binder.
- Mandatory Confirmation Meeting: A mandatory meeting for Candidates and their parents will be help in mid-September.
- Once of the most important aspects of their Confirmation preparation will be our Confirmation Program entitled, "Decision Point" by Matthew Kelly. This is a twelve session program led by a volunteer facilitator in a classroom setting. For this program to be successful there will be two mandatory sessions each month that will be held in St. Thomas School. Details about date and times will be announced at a future date.
- All PREP students must fill out a PREP registration form to be registered for Confirmation. Only registered candidates will receive the Confirmation packet which will contain important information and paperwork. Online registration will begin on Monday, May 1 and continue through Wednesday, May 10. If you cannot access the form online, you may pick up a form at the PREP office or at the Pastoral Center after May 1st.
I cannot stress enough your role as parents in guiding your child during this Confirmation process. This process needs to be taken seriously and respectfully. I am so fortunate to have volunteers from our parish who are facilitators for our Confirmation program who deserve and expect respect form our candidates. Your cooperation is needed in order to make sure that all requirements are met in a timely manner.
As the Parish Catechetical Leader, I expect the nest from our Confirmation candidates as we go forward. I will do my best with the help of the PREP staff to be certain that your child is prepared for Confirmation. I want this to be a positive experience for both you and your child. I pray that our Confirmation candidates will have an open heart to receive the Spirit and that I can depend on your support with the Confirmation process. If there are any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the PREP office.
Parish Catechetical Leader